Thursday, August 30, 2007

"A Selfish Act"- OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS FUNNY

Wow, where do I fuckin start??? Theres so much I could rip into, so many fuckin jokes I could crack...but I'll let this speak for itself. Im too busy laughing anyway! Gosh, I hope Jon is alright! He's probably crying into his resin!

Artist Arrested in Burning Man Torching AP
Posted: 2007-08-30 04:43:35
Filed Under: Crime News
SAN FRANCISCO (Aug. 30) - Burning Man became Burnt Man four days early, and a San Francisco performance artist was arrested on suspicion of igniting the signature figure of the counterculture festival in the remote Nevada desert.

Ron Lewis, San Mateo County Times / ZUMA Press The Man, the icon of the annual Burning Man arts festival held in Nevada's Black Rock Desert, survived an early burn after being torched Tuesday -- several days before the event's scheduled burn of the structure.

The early morning fire on Tuesday scorched about 85 percent of the structure, Burning Man spokeswoman Andie Grace said. Event engineers decided it would be best to dismantle it and rebuild a less elaborate version, accomplishing in two days what normally takes weeks so the figure would be finished in time for Saturday night's scheduled burning, she said.

The approximately 40-foot-tall wood-and-neon structure was supposed to go up in flames in the ceremonial climax of the weeklong annual event. Burning Man, an art, music and performance festival that draws thousands of people, began in San Francisco in 1986 and moved to Nevada's Black Rock Desert in 1990.

Many festival-goers who were awake watching Tuesday's lunar eclipse said they saw a man deliberately ignite the figure at about 3 a.m., Grace said.

"It was in plain sight of many people," she said. "Everyone is looking at it this morning, this big black figure in the sky and that wasn't supposed to burn, saying, `Now what do we do?"'

No injuries were reported, and the festival's in-house fire department, the Black Rock City Emergency Services Department, extinguished the fire in less than half an hour, Grace said. The fire also damaged part of the Green Man Pavilion, the exhibition space on which the figure was perched, Grace said.

Paul Addis, 35, of San Francisco, was booked into the Pershing County, Nev., jail on suspicion of arson, illegal possession of fireworks, destruction of property and resisting a public officer, according to the sheriff's department. He posted a $25,632 bond, a sheriff's dispatcher said.

Sheriff's officials did not know whether he had a lawyer. No one answered at two phone numbers listed in his name.

Addis is an actor and writer who is active in the San Francisco arts scene and recently portrayed Hunter S. Thompson in a play about the late journalist known for his drug-fueled lifestyle, according to entertainment listings posted on the Internet.

Grace said she assumed the early burn was timed to coincide with the eclipse.

"It's obviously a pretty selfish act, and people are disappointed about that, but spirits overall are pretty high," she said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-08-29 09:45:44

48 comments:

Jackie said...

fucking hippies.

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

dude I love the part where somebody said, "Now what do we do?"

ISNT THAT SOMETHING THEYD SAY EVERY YEAR????

Richard said...

god, layers within layers. i think we need to make a film, "A Selfish Act".

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deanna said...

I can't believe a performance artist was even allowed in, is what I meant to say.

The fact that hippies now have something this ritualistic is repellent.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6761085
This made a lot of people happy, haha.

Richard said...

Jackie get yr arse onto IM

jackie said...

im here homeboy!

Jackie said...

missed your chance baby!

i'll be back later.

Richard said...

5 minutes after i typed that our internet went down

Jackie said...

have people seen "don't need you"? i know what i thought of it, but i just wanted to see what anyone else's opinions were. and i know how much you all love ian mackaye and there's a fairly long interview with him.

Richard said...

Ian is basically the only good thing about it. The full on 45 minute interview in the extras is priceless. Kathleen Hanna proves herself to absurd and annoying. And umm Corin comes off as awfulyl taciturn.

Richard said...

Swim To The Center isnt ready yet. Were having problems with the artwork. It looks fucking awful. Were gointg to try one more thing to fix it. If it doensnt we'll use alternate artwork. Wish us luck

Jackie said...

i really enjoy the new welcome/banner art. not that i didn't enjoy seeing miles davis everyday.

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

Marcel Duchamp (French, 1887–1968)
Tu m', 1918
Oil on canvas, with bottle brush, three safety pins, and one bolt, 27 1/2 x 119 5/16 in. (69.8 x 303 cm)


The art collector, educator and friend to Duchamp, Katherine Dreier commissioned Tu m' to be hung over a bookcase in her library—hence the unusual shape of the work. Executed in 1918, it is Duchamp's last painting on canvas and revisits highlights of his career. Ranging across the canvas from left to right are the cast shadows of a bicycle wheel, a corkscrew, and a hat rack. Providing counterpoint to these silhouettes are collaged elements and a pointing hand rendered illusionistically. The title lends a sarcastic tone to the work, for the words, perhaps short for the French tu m'emmerdes or tu m'ennuies (you bore me), seem to express his attitude toward painting as he was casting it aside.

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

Duchamp actually hired a professional sign painter to insert the pointing hand in the center of the painting.

Richard said...

I think thats a fascinating touch.

Richard said...

and also, thanks for the breakdowmn that was interesting.

even more also, thanks for the for the american hardcore tipoff. i cant believe they interviewied fuckin Mugger!

Richard said...

Nig-Heist!

Deanna said...

Lovely new decor you've got in the place.

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

hey I know yr feelings on The White Dog. But do you know anything of those three movies that criterion just released in a box? [The First Films of Samuel Fuller (The Baron of Arizona / I Shot Jesse James / The Steel Helmet)]

Deanna said...

Rich, I hope the 6th was not the day you told me to keep open, because I have White Stripes tickets for that night after all.

Jackie said...

are you gonna come online, or what? huh?

Richard said...

TIME FOR ANSWERS. You will answered in the order you asked.

#1- These are the Sam Fuller films I've seen:
Fixed Bayonets! (1951)
Pickup on South Street (1953)
House of Bamboo (1955)
Forty Guns (1957)
The Crimson Kimono (1959)
Underworld USA (1961)
Shock Corridor (1963)
The Big Red One (1980)
White Dog (1982)

My personal favorite is Shock Corridor, followed by Pickup On South St, House Of Bamboo, Underworld USA, Big Red One, Fixed Bayonets and White Dog. I barely remember 40 Guns or Crimson Kimono, mostly because I saw them in 1997 , back-to-back and around midnight and 2am respectively. I did not know about the box set, but seeing as its 3 films I figured Id never get to view, its very exciting. Have you seen Shock Corridor? If you haven't, I cant urge you enough to rent it this evening. Masterpiece doesnt even begin to describe it.

#2- Regarding my birthday celebration, yes October 6th is the day. Im debating moving the "party" to the 5th, as I believe Tim will be attending the same concert as well (is that correct Tim?).

#3- Not bloody likely. Im very, very busy today and MD has been hovering around my desk under the excuse that shes re-organizing the file folders. I'm only on here because shes on her lunch break.

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

thanks for the rundown. no Im not attending the white stripes show. I was thinking of getting a ticket from a scalper one of the evenings if I wasnt doing anything but I assumed 10/6 was reserved for yr birthday. let me know if youve got other plans. and if anyones got an extra ticket to the other show (arent they playing twice?) I will gladly trade with cash.

Richard said...

Well, the 6th is what we were planning on to do something. Maybe we'll hold that date after all, then.

Let me know what works.

I was going to inxclude the list of Fuller films I havent seen but I just fucking deleted it. Idiot.

Have you ever read his book, Tim? Its so amazing. I love that man.

Richard said...

Facets has a bunch of great Fuller films

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

I found most of his stuff at a place. (odd obsession--I highly suggest this place to anyone in the chicagoland area. better selection than Facets and FAR more affordable.) Im gonna rent shock corridor tonight.

Jackie said...

if i can come (which im pretty sure i can), saturday would be good. then that way i can spend some time with my brother before hanging out with you guys.

but hey, it's not my birthday.

Deanna said...

I second Shock Corridor. Very excellent.

I tried, but I was unable to get tickets for the Sunday show. And seeing that Music Today already mailed my damn tickets out so they had to cancel the physical ones and put mine on will call at the venue, I can't sell 'em. I think Matt will get pissy if I take someone else, because he actually got somewhat excited about the show, which is to say he actually displayed a pulse. It's the best I can get, I guess.

Deanna said...

I just ate an entire head of raw broccoli. This shit better make this cold go away.

Richard said...

its ok D, Im accepting large and expensive gifts in lieu of birthday attendance. Consult the amazon list or enquire about what Id love from 5minutestolive. If such requirement is met, all will be quickly (not to mention graciously) forgiven.

Deanna said...

Haha, large and expensive birthday gifts are something that the unemployed can't give you, especially because I still don't have a debit card. You'll have to settle for a hand-colored card.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

i took that sex role quiz you guys talked about.

Your Score: Androgynous

You scored 63 masculinity and 83 femininity!

You scored high on both masculinity and femininity. You have a strong personality exhibiting characteristics of both traditional sex roles.

My test tracked 2 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on masculinity

You scored higher than 99% on femininity


what kind of math are these weirdos using, because 63 and 83 do not equal 100.

Deanna said...

So, what happens if you score low on both masculinity and femininity?

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

then you're dead

Jackie said...

i scored higher on masculinity than feminity and then it had a picture of a 1940's private detective looking guy at the end. apparently that's my mirror image.

Deanna said...

I found it and took it, and I basically got the same score as Liz (a little higher on M and lower on F). I guess being assertive and opinionated makes you manly.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

damn right, d!!! let's paint the town red with our cocks tonight!!!

Deanna said...

I'm in!

I'm also flying home tomorrow. I found airfare for $166, taxes included, which is INSANE MOTHERFUCKING CHEAP. I guess they were desperate to fill seats. Whatever, I've got a credit card to max out.

Jackie said...

now really girls... if anyone should be painting the town red with their cock, it should be me.

but you are of course invited to partake with me.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

maybe we could slap each other with them

Deanna said...

In further display of my manliness...I just posted a blog on MySpace with a recipe. You KNOW you want to eat some.

Deanna said...

And by "some," I mean my big hairy penis.

Jackie said...

liz, i'm always up for some dick slapping.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

good, jackie. i now declare that we shall greet each other with dick slaps.

are we going apple picking sept. 22 or what?

jackie said...

it works for me, if it works for you guys.

Jackie said...

i'm having a party the first weekend of november! my parents will be gone and i'm going to revert back to when i was 16. so yes there will be drinking, but you are all invited anyhow even if i know none of you will show up, haha.