Saturday, March 29, 2008

I LOVE DEVO

Were DEVO the greatest of poets. I think so. Read these lyrics from the masterpiece "FREEDOM OF CHOICE" album. The song is called "Gates Of Steel". This moves me very deeply

twist away the gates of steel
unlock the secret voice
give in to ancient noise
take a chance a brand new dance

twist away the gates of steel
twist away now twist and shout
the earth it moves too slow
but the earth is all we know
we pay to play the human way

twist away the gates of steel
a man is real not made of steel

but the earth is all we know
we pay to play the human way
twist away the gates of steel

the beginning was the end of everything
now the ape regards his tail
he's stuck on it repeats
until he fails half a goon and half a god

a man's not made of steel

twist away now twist and shout
the earth it moves too slow
but the earth is all we know

we pay to play the human way
twist away the gates of steel

a man is real that's how he feels

8 comments:

Deanna said...

I am going to use this opportunity to say hello to everyone, and I hope you're all having a lovely day!

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

so d... do any of those vintage clothing stores sell shoes? and shoes for women with average sized feet, not like i need to find cheap (but still cool) shoes to go with my dresses for my cousin's wedding. the internet isn't helping much right now. or if you know of any good websites let me know.

Deanna said...

I've noticed that the shoe selection at Buy Choice in Lincoln is pretty, what do the kids say these days...boss? But I've only been there once. They had some purdy pairs.

I think many of 'em do sell shoes. I know I'll be hitting up vintage shops this weekend, so I'll keep shoes in mind and let you know what I find. (I don't know specifically WHEN yet, or else I'd invite you to tag along...I know Hannah would be cool with that if you wanted to come with us.)

Deanna said...

ON Lincoln, not IN Lincoln...don't go driving to Nebraska or anything in search of shoes.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

haha, ok weirdo. i won't go to nebraska. although i have been to omaha.... the jewel in america's crown.

so let me know when you are going, because i have beaucoup de homework and i might (MIGHT) be having dinner with lindsay. she has a shit load of work to do for school and a new boyfriend so you know what that does to one's social life.

Deanna said...

I think it's definitely going to be Saturday (I have volunteer work and other plans on Sunday), but we're still working out the exact time. If I can get her ass out of bed, we'll start fairly early in the morning.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

when do you think you'll know? i might go see my grandpa on saturday, but will hold off till sunday if you aren't going too late. plus, i'll need to get lindsay so i can take her to the suburbs to get her car, whenever that may be.

Deanna said...

We're definitely starting early (I'm crashing at Hannah's)...and I think we're starting out in Oak Park and working our way city-ward. The Brown Elephant out there doesn't open until 11.