Thursday, March 13, 2008

Swing to the right!

I have never understood the big deal about David Mamet.

Naturalistic speech patterns? HA! His characters always struck me as automatons. In all of the plays of his that I've seen or read, there's nary a flicker of genuine emotion--nothing human to be found. I'm not even touching on the supposed misogyny--I didn't care enough after the characters manage to utter the syllable "uhn" 85 times every two minutes.

For obvious reasons, the liberal uproar about his recent acknowledgment of his swing to the right is confounding me. It's apparently so major that the Guardian UK has it as a front page story.

Is anyone really surprised? Why would the left try to claim someone with an artistic legacy of dust? And why are people referring to him as "America's best living dramatist"? (HEY, ASSHOLES, TOM STOPPARD CALLED AND HE WANTS TO REMIND YOU THAT HE'S STILL ALIVE.)

Now I'm no hater of the free market or anything, but I'm a big fan of schadenfreude and I do love anything that confirms my negative suspicions of people who are obviously cunts. Thank you, David Mamet, for that.

7 comments:

Rich said...

I'd never heard of the guy. Or rather, I'd heard of him but I didnt know what he did. I figured he was like, a famous interior decorator or something. Anyway, I looked him up and realized I do know his stuff. And wag the dog sucked. I breezed through his "sometimes you have to kill" essay for the village voice. Pretty useless. Maybe he should be an interior decorator. Or a wine taster.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

I have a niece!!! Caroline Genevieve Steffens was born very early this morning!! 9lbs 4oz 21.5 inches long!!

Richard said...

That's wonderful, hon! Are Dale & Karen out there?

We should send flowers or balloons or a gift or something. Let's brainstorm on this.

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

no, they'll be visiting soon, though. i think karen wants to work a little before she takes more time off. it would be cool if they were out there when i go out there... if i get to go out there, that is.

Richard said...

thats why im paying for yogurt tomorrow!

que ferions-nous sans vous pour nous guider? said...

ok. weirdo.

Anonymous said...

TOM STOPPARD IS FUCKING BRITISH!!!