Friday, January 30, 2009

And Iceland gives us...the World's First Lesbian Prime Minister

Only through a series of resignations, of course...but it looks like this will happen pretty soon:

The current Minister for Social Affairs, Jóhanna Sigurdardóttir of the Social Democrats, said she is prepared to assume the position of prime minister as long as she senses that her position is backed by sufficient trust.

Foreign Minister and chairwoman of the Social Democrats Ingibjörg Sólrún Gísladóttir proposed that Sigurdardóttir replace Geir H. Haarde, chairman of the Independence Party, as prime minister yesterday, Fréttabladid reports.

Sigurdardóttir said the idea had only been discussed with her yesterday morning.

Her first choice of a coalition is a minority government with the Left-Greens and backing from the Progressive Party. “Another option is a minority government with the Social Democrats and passivity of the Left-Greens and Progressive Party.”

On whether she had discussed the matter with the Left-Greens, Sigurdardóttir replied, “I’m always talking with the Left-Greens.”

According to an opinion poll undertaken by Capacent Gallup in December 2008, Jóhanna Sigurdardóttir is the most popular minister—73 percent of respondents said they were satisfied with her work. Sigurdardóttir is also the only minister whose popularity had increased compared to a similar poll undertaken in December 2007.

If Sigurdardóttir does become prime minister, she will be the first woman to serve as prime minister in the country’s history and also the first openly gay prime minister in the world.

10 comments:

Jackie said...

i like how in no reservations tonight at the end they were talking about foie gras being legal again and hoorah and all that and then show some guy making something with soy milk in it. i would never think that he would eat something with soy milk in it!

and of course, i got my first taste of mancow.

Rich On Liz's Computer said...

Yeah, I'm ever so thankful Mancow gets more exposure. What a guy.

Actually, it was a much better episode than I thought it would be.

Jackie said...

yeah i liked the episode a lot. and i love that he loves chicago.

Deanna said...

Interesting that they cut his visit to Kuma's Corner from the final show.

Chris was making fun of Mancow the whole time--"Dude, he's not even from Chicago. He can't even get his fucking radio show on the air here." Considering his line of work, it was pretty great.

But yeah, awesome episode. Nice to get some acknowledgment from a New Yaukah that Chicago isn't just part of the fly-over zone. But I probably won't be able to get into Hot Doug's again, which makes me sad--the veggie corndogs are happiness on a stick.

Deanna said...

Ah, Kuma's wouldn't sign a release. I guess they can afford to say no to potential new customers.

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

d, what the hell do you order when you go to kuma's corner??

for someone who doesnt do glutin and meat, yr sure good at picking the top glutin and meat locations of chicago ha ha.


Might i suggest Smoque on pulaski? their beef brisket sandwiches give me the meat sweats every time i go (plus a minimum of 25 minutes in the toilet when i get home--cheers.)

Deanna said...

Tim, I get the Neurosis on a grilled portobello with no bun and french fries...usually works out pretty well. Next time I'll be getting the Iron Maiden (if I can ever get in again).

I don't think I could actually eat anything at Smoque, but I hear they have excellent sweet tea. So does Feed, apparently, and they're a little bit closer to Humboldt Square.

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

ah, the portobello, ok. but no pretzel roll--that hurts.

Deanna said...

Oh, I've heard things about that pretzel roll...I'm glad I know what I'm missing.

Do they still have the Blago burger on the menu? That looks goddamn revolting.

Deanna said...

..."I'm glad I DON'T know what I'm missing" is how that should read.