Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Andy's Music

I happened across the most amazing instrument store today! More exotic musical instruments than I could ever imagine or dream of.. When I first walked in (I had to be buzzed in) I was struck by all the incredible bells, triangles, whistles, horns, bowed things, sitars, brass singing bowls and frankly things I couldn't imagine were instruments that surrounded me. Then I saw another crevice filled with saxophones of every size and color next to a multitude of moroccan horns and wooden flutes ..(there's another room? No, there's like nine other rooms!)then another room with tons more sitars and talking drums, then a dobro room..then, holy fuck is that a harpsichord?! than a gong room with some guy who spent ten minutes explaining to me the process of getting the "full swell" from a gong..he wiped the mallet in circular patterns around the gong as it slowly picked momentum then pulled back, waited a second and lightly tapped the center, making a vibration the almost knocked me over (I even looked behind me to see if anything got knocked down)..then downstairs to a cymbal room that I never found the end of..next to the percussion room filled with the jaws of many curious creatures(yes, the jaw bones are instruments)..crystal chime bowls..I played three styles of sitars(!!!)--one strum enraptured me, i dont think i could ever get past that first note...

Strangely everything is reasonably priced. Don't get me wrong--everything still costs a shiney coin but nothing that will blow yr hair back. Every few minutes I kept asking, "Am I really here?" I still can't get over the fact that I got to play a fucking harpsichord!!! In NO way can I do this place justice--there's no way to find the words. Plus it would take a three volume book length post to name all the instruments that passed my eyes (and my hands) But it exists! I dont think it was just a dream!


























2300 W. Belmont 773-868-1234, Store Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 11:00am-7:00pm
greatest place on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Rich said...

Wow, this is incredible. Amazing post, really amazing fucking pictures. Did you just wander in there? Were other people around in there?

Deanna said...

Oh wow, that's incredible! Thanks for posting this, Tim.

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

Yeah, I totally just wandered in there off the street! everything yesterday lead up to that moment. There were some really pretty triangles and bells in the window that grabbed my attention. It took me a few minutes, once inside, to realize there was more to the place than just a small very incredible storefront. It just kept winding and opening up to me. It was like that scene in Fanny and Alexander where alexander discovers the puppet room. This might be silly to admit but I constantly have recurring dreams where I go to certain stores and museums that don't really exist (a bunch of times I've found myself at an african art museum in wisconsin dells. Twice I have seen and spoken to Sun Ra while I'm there! He's always wearing very bright royal blue and has lost both of his feet to diabetes--however he hobbles around with a cane and can/does move far more urgently than anyone else in the museum. I have never had a more enthusiastic guide!!) I've never purchased anything at these museums or stores. But the energy in them is so astounding and I always learn a ton. well, THIS STORE was the first time Ive ever had that kind of experience in my awake life. My cheeks were buzzing to say the least.

they let you roam free once you get buzzed in (which occurs after a brief security check--just kidding). They let you play almost anything. For the first ten minutes we'd find an employee (i think there were about five there but some of the rooms are so cavernous that there could have been twice as many) before playing anything and ask, "can i touch this?". and it was always "sure, sure!" The only things off limits (there was a sign) were the white crystal talking bowls(fifth picture from the top).

There were other customers around, about six or seven all of middle eastern descent. One was doing beautiful things with a stringed hammer instrument(thirteenth from top) a few customers had a million questions and one of the employees answered everything and then some..

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

new dylan album in april--accordian on every song

Jackie said...

these are really beautiful pics. i'm particularly interested in the 10th one down (or maybe 11th), it looks there are teeth on it. what is that?

Mr Bigpants Cock (of the) Walk said...

its the jawbone of a donkey. when you strike the back larger portion(the part closest to the neck)
with a percussion hammer, it creates a slightly hollow sounding reverberation; and the teeth also rattle with a maraca quality.