Friday, November 06, 2009

Expressing my full fucking opinion

Much of how I feel about the Fort Hood "massacre" that occurred yesterday is succinctly expressed here, but something no one has brought up yet to counter the stupidity surrounding this horrific incident?

My roommate was watching local news last night, and someone said something along the lines of "Soldiers aren't supposed to turn guns on people, that's not what they're here for."

WHAT? I thought that's the ONLY reason why we have a military, is so we CAN more efficiently kill people (especially if they just happen not to look, talk, act, or believe like us). How fucking preposterous a point is that? All the military is a death machine.

Maj. Hasan is merely the latest scapegoat for those who refuse to face the fundamental errors in our social fabric. (Yes, he's responsible for his own actions, and for the deaths he caused, but I'm making a macro point here so save any bullshit for the National Review, pal.) The people he killed didn't have to die--here, or in Iraq or Afghanistan, or wherever our next costly military adventure will take us. And he didn't have to kill--he should have been provided with psychological treatment immediately after he requested, as all people with PTSD should. When you are fucked in the head like that from previous psychological trauma, everyone is potentially the enemy--so why don't we stop making enemies out of arbitrary designations of people? Why does such a simple idea seem to make so little sense to so many people?

It's sad and angering for so many reasons that I'm not eloquent enough to articulate.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

i pretty much thought exactly the same thing this morning when i was reading about it in the newspaper.

Deanna said...

I wrote this primarily because Rich said I should, and I wanted a non-facebook outlet for these emotions. Preaching to the choir, I know.