Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy 100th, Akira Kurosawa!



Ikiru is so far the only film of yours I've seen, because every other time I've checked out a copy of anything of yours from the library or rented it from Netflix, the DVD has been cracked or scratched beyond data recognition. I'll get to the rest of them before I die, okay? Or before your 150th, I promise. Let's just say that Ikiru has left an indelible mark on my soul in the two years since I first watched it and leave it at that...for the time being. I mean, there's something about the way Shimura looks at everything as though he has words for it but is racing against his own life to express them, that petrified yet entranced look in his eyes reflecting this THING he's never had an aptitude for in his life just staring him down, that gets me every fucking time.

3 comments:

liz said...

i have "dreams." come over and we can watch it!

Rich On Liz's Computer said...

I am currently watching Rashomon and editing a massive Prince CD for Tim

Jackie said...

rashomon scares me, but in a good way.